Originally, the thought was to only have 2 rows of horizontals for support but after putting 2 in we made the decision in order to keep the integrity of the structure it would be better to add more. I did not want the horizontals to be straight across but also not so erratic that they were distracting so I held the cross rods while Tom welded and moved them slightly each time.....
|Heating and Shaping Rods|
|Screwing in the sections|
|Side Supports Added|
|Starting to take shape|
Continuing my own practice of quiet in the busy life, I have been practicing Tai Chi. Last week the instructor was discussing the benefits of the practice and made a statement that was relevant to my thesis....a t'ai chi body becomes like iron, wrapped in cotton...strong on the inside, soft on the outside. My thoughts on the prototype are that hopefully when all is said and done, the tomato cages and threads will become a cocoon! I have found that the wrapping and tying etc. is really labor intense, with that I have ordered some fish netting and plan to try to incorporate that into the piece. The plan is to tear and cut and make openings which I will then sew, wrap and tie threads to the structure of the prototype...